Tuesday, January 17, 2012

SWOTOR a Month later..

... and I've come to the conclusion that the game is not done yet.   Not that Star Wars the Old Republic MMO is not good, but there are so many things missing and so many bugs, that another month in the perverbrial oven wouldn't hurt.   What Bioware does in the next 2 months is going to be patching up a storm, while bringing out more missions to appeal to the players which is good, but somehow I think the sense of community will be lost.   Before I go on, let me introduce you to some pics of a bugged bounty hunter mission to illustrate some of my problems.

*Spoiler alert*


1) a video bug, my character will have a green glow on her, even when my healer is not healing her.  Really annoying, and it lasts until you reboot.   Then it may return.   Really annoying when your getting into the 'rpg mood'.


2) a beam of green light, from nowhere followed my character for the entire mission.   You think this is because of lag?   Well, I've still got 3 full bars of connectivity (check it out on left bottom side of minimap)


3) Here I'm fighting a guy, notice the red words above my character 'Cannot see Target'  ... again, I'm not lagging, this is me not able to fire my gun because apparently I cannot see the target .. which is right .. in ..front.. of .. me!

 These things happened throughout the mission.   Now, if it were an ordinary mission, perhaps I'd just be a little perturbed.   But this was a mission that was a MAJOR part of my Bounty Hunter's life.   This was  a mission to make me a full fledged Mandalorian Bounty Hunter.   Class epic quest.

Now this game is amazing, and the storylines are awesome, but one of the reasons that I pick up Bioware games, is to step into the shoes of amazing characters, and things like this take me out of the game.   For me, this is a big thing.  

Also missing is: -- a looking for group channel,  character customatization (dye system), a chance to even write a bio for your character ala. city of heroes, star trek online, lotro, champions etc., a chance to CHOOSE which pvp arena you want to go too; a loot system choice better than need/greed.   Massively.com has a great article on this now.

Oh, btw, weather effects are important for us visual hogs in 2012.  How about we have some.

This game has alot of good stuff, and the conversations, crafting, and the idea of having companions sets it above and beyond most games out there in mmo land.   But I think what hits me is that they (Bioware) compromised the debugging process to get the game out there before Christmas.   I guess EA wanted the game out there this year, but I do think it hurt more than helped. 

I would give Swotor 8.5/10.   It is still an amazing mmo, just not a perfect one.   Not yet.    For the last month I have given this game way more time than any other in the last few years.   I love my bounty hunter, and my companions.. some great storytelling that drew me in.   Will I subscribe to it?  Not sure but I will definately revisit it.


=========>>>> Shelob .. my bounty hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment