Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Oh where is my hobbit?

I've been been neglecting my hobbit for awhile, and doing some work on Star Trek Online, as well as some World of Warcraft.   I love Massively Multi-player Online gaming (MMO's), the chance to wander in a world that isn't our own.   One trouble I have is just sticking to one.   Star trek has been near and dear to my heart, so has Lord of the Rings Online, and I love the superhero genre, so Champions online and City of Heroes also appeals to me.   I find that I'm like a kid in a candy store that just can't seem to find something that he can stick with, so with greedy hands the kid takes as many has he can handle, but at the end of the day, all he ends up with is a stomach ache.   It's easy to get addicted to MMO's with the fun times of leveling, crafting new items for your virtual character, some sense of accomplishment.   Some people take it way to seriously, others don't leave the computer alone, and just constantly game when there's any free time.  
I was watching Season 2 of  Big Bang Theory and there was an episode where the character known as Penny, got addicted to Age Of Conan (easy to do, gorgeous game) and Leonard (a main character) came up to her and tried to point out that she was substuting real life accomplishments with Virtual world accomplishments because they're easier than the real-life ones  (he said this line more eloquently than that, but you get the point).  

I think this is one of the dangers with mmo's.   The life of an mmo'er is filled with giving their virtual character accomplishments, that keeps them enticed to play more.   It's so much easier to see, find, and do these 'accomplishments' online than it is in real life.   This is probably a deeper subject when you get down to the nitty-gritty of it then I'm about to attempt, but it is food for thought, something to contemplate when your killing an orc to get the latest trait; or fishing in Orgrimmar for that accomplishment; or flying through a donut in City of Heroes just to get a badge; or get your next crop in Farmville.

So as I yammer on, I leave you with a picture of my Ferengi, enjoying the sun on Risa ... the closest thing to a tropical beach that I'll see anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment