Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hacks

Well, my World of Warcraft account got hacked today. I'm not sure how to feel, as I haven't played this online game in about a month. My character 'Waaghknight', a Horde deathknight has nothing, but my alliance characters still have their stuff. Very strange that someone only 'partially' robbed me. So I've done the proper thing and changed my passwords and uploaded a Maleware protection program. What I find weird about this whole thing is that:
a) Only one of my characters got robbed
b) This happened just one day after my internet went down because of rain or something, and my internet provider called to let me know that they have the situation under control, but I should install a 'Maleware' protection program as soon as possible.

Now I'm not really playing World of Warcraft anymore, and the fact is I still have time on my account because a friend game me a time card as a gift for being his 'personal taxi' for a day. So really, it's not a big deal. What is a big deal is that I am HOPING that only information pertaining to my Wow account got out, and nothing else.

So, now begins the task of setting up new passwords. This time, no words, its going to be letters, numbers, and different font sizes. It's going to be a pain, but nothing would be worse then hackers getting into any other files. So here's the warning. .... Don't trust your internet company to keep you safe, pick up a good Maleware protection program -- even if you have an anti-virus program, and make your passwords so funky and difficult that hackers aren't going to bother with you ... also... different passwords for different programs.

There, that's my public service announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment